Ogden Guardianship Attorney

Utah Family Lawyer

Guardianship is the act of appointing a legal guardian to act more or less as the parent of a minor child or incapacitated or incompetent person. There are a number of situations in which it can be very useful and important to be able to appoint a guardian, for example: the death of parents, physically or mentally impaired adults, substance abuse situations, or parents who are incapable of caring for their minor child. The existences of drugs or incapacitation due to old age is not enough to simply appoint a guardian over an adult, the court will also consider the person’s ability to make reasonable decisions. Guardians are charged with the same responsibilities as a parent and can act for the person they are guardian over, or the “ward.”

Role of the Guardian

A guardian is responsible to make sure that the ward is taken care of. Some things they may consider are making sure the ward receives the proper education and training; that the ward is taken care of medically if the need arises; or receives other professional care as warranted. Guardians can also act as a conservator meaning that they are in control of the wards property and finances as well. Once a guardian is appointed then they’re guardianship over that ward does not terminate until death of the guardian, or upon the death, marriage, adoption, or reaching an age of majority of the ward.

Utah Family Lawyer Serving in Ogden, Brigham City, Centerville

Obviously guardianship can be a complex process that will undoubtedly raise lots of questions and concerns. In the case of a minor child all parties involved will want to do what is best for the child but deciding what that is and executing it may be difficult. With the help of a competent and experienced attorney at our law firm, you can be sure that your guardianship is done correctly. Our family law attorneys can help you understand the repercussions of your actions and the possible scenarios you may need to consider. Whether you are dealing with guardianship over a minor child or an incapacitated adult our lawyers are able to help. Call or email us today to set up a free consultation and get more information on what we can do for you. 801.475.0991

Comments are closed.