Ogden Name Change Attorney

Changing Your Name in Utah

In our society it has been the norm that a newly married wife changes her surname at the time of marriage to take on the name of her husband. In the past this has been one of the only scenarios in which a person would consider a name change. However, with the many changes our society has gone through this is no longer the case. Spouses may decided to take on each other’s names, a wife may add her husband’s surname to her own, same sex couples could have multiple name change scenarios, and some people may simply decide to change their name to move on from a broken relationship.  Regardless of the reason why you want to change your name, the lawyers at our firm can help you through the process.

The Legal Process

The process of getting your name changed can be a fairly simple process once you understand the steps. A person that wants to change their name will submit a petition to the court, which is basically just the way of asking the court to consider their request. The petition must contain the reason for the name change, the new proposed name, and verification that the court has jurisdiction to make the change. Courts are generally very open to accept name changes as long as they are sure that the name change is not being done for a wrongful or fraudulent purpose. However, the court does have some sense of reasonableness and will likely not grant a name change to a name that is overly bizarre, too long, or offensive to others.

Ogden Legal Help

If you live in Northern Utah and are considering a name change then contact the lawyers at our office for help. We offer free consultations and can help you understand the process, the benefits, and costs involved. Our attorneys are very experienced in Family Law and have dealt with many different name change clients. No matter what your situation is our attorneys can help you and make sure the process goes smoothly and correctly. Call or email us today to set up a free consultation. 801.475.0991

Comments are closed.